Thursday 15 April 2010

Preston Park exhibition

I thought I'd start this off by giving my views on our exhibition.
Firstly, I think we should congratulate ourselves on the range and quality of our work. Obviously there are the 'stars' amongst us (you know who you are!) but all the work submitted was to a very high standard.

It was a different kind of exhibition - sharing the cases with the museum exhibits - and in some instances, I'm not sure that it worked. I also think that having cases without calligraphy detracted from the overall effect. Having said that, I think that it was a success: it exposed calligraphy to a different audience and that has to be a Good Thing. It also had us working to themes rather than simply doing something we liked which challenged our creativity.
I have heard criticism of the lighting and hanging and the venue(no reflection on our team who had to do the work!) but if you remember, there were similar criticisms of Ripon Cathedral. If we have an exhibition in a non-gallery space, there will always be compromises.

Incidentally, there was no gilding in any of the 48 pieces: contrast that with the CLAS exhibition in Sunderland. Should we schedule some lessons?

I'd be interested to hear other views.

1 comment:

  1. I think I have to agree with Alan's comments - our work was a bit overshadowed by the "Made in Stockton" collection and it was a shame there wasn't calligraphy in every cabinet. Whether any exhibition is successful or not is entirely our responsibility - it's our work, we're in the driving seat and it's up to us to make sure what we do fits the circumstances. After all we are an experienced group, collectively we have many years of experience, we understand the principles of design etc..etc..etc
    More work would have made a big difference - we should have made sure that each cabinet had work in it. We should have paid more attention to presentation, individually and as a group, to overcome any problems of anonimity. We could have taken more care in familiarising ourselves with the contents of the cabinets and the visual weight of the objects within.
    All that said - and again I agree with Alan - it had a measure of success. It did bring calligraphy to a different audience and created a calligraphic dimension to something that already existed. In my view this approach has much more value than calligraphy for its own sake.

    ReplyDelete